About this Event
The Digital Equity Lab is holding pilot workshops across New York State to get feedback on in-development curriculum designed for libraries and CBOs that are preparing for their role in the 2020 Census. DEL's goal is to provide digital tactics and techniques to help prevent possible harms, and enable communities and agencies to better prepare against the uncertainties of a digital census and the likelihood of a resulting undercount.
This pilot will take place here at the Pioneer Library System in Canandaigua, NY. Two workshops will be running in parallel: Reference Materials and Public Interaction & IT Preparation. Each group will participate in two facilitated sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, covering a selection of components of the curriculum currently in development.
Reference Materials & Interfacing with the Public will cover topics such as:
- Public-Facing FAQs (how the census will work, security, accessibility, etc.),
- Reference Interviews: tailoring answers based on patron needs, contextual privacy, modifying for cultural relevance
- Securing the physical space & know-your-rights efforts
IT Preparation will cover topics such as:
- How to identify which digital approach is most fitting for your organization
- Holistic IT: How to audit, plan, and build a secure IT ecosystem
- How to build a secure participation kiosk
- Creating a secure access point
To register, click here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/digital-census-preparation-pilot-workshop-canandaigua-tickets-68306230775.