Position: Assistant Director
The Pioneer Library System (PLS) is a cooperative library system located in Canandaigua, NY and serves 42 small and rural public libraries across Ontario, Wyoming, Wayne, and Livingston Counties. We are looking for an organized and detailed oriented leader with strong presentation and project management skills to help support the System and our member libraries. Under the general supervision of the Executive Director, the Assistant Director assists in the administration and management of the System and acts for the Director as assigned or in the Director’s absence. The Assistant Director also provides expertise, mediation, facilitation, and consultation to member libraries in the areas of organizational growth, the development of boards and trustees, directors and Friends Groups, and local funding.
Essential Duties Include:
- Assists in maintaining and administering effective and efficient staff.
- Consults with member library staff and trustees on administrative, organizational, and governance issues, and in other areas as assigned.
- Delivers presentations, workshops, and training to member library staff, trustees, and periodically other systems.
- Liaise on behalf of member libraries to the Division of Library Development in areas of essential duties and responsibilities.
- Exercises responsibility for System administrative tasks, ensuring compliance with New York State laws and System policies and procedures.
- Coordinates New York State Public Library Construction Grant program and System Annual report.
- Maintains System policies, making recommendations to Executive Director on revisions and new policies needed.
- Attends System board meetings, serves as Board Recording Secretary; represents the System at meetings as required in the absence of the Director.
- Provides leadership in advocacy efforts at the local, state, and federal levels with the goal of sustainable funding and broader community support for libraries.
- Works on system-wide projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Expert public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to speak and write effectively to a broad range of audiences.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to schedule time effectively and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to use sound judgment and take initiative in making recommendations for improvements in services.
- Ability to maintain an atmosphere of mutual trust and cooperation between System staff and member libraries and other constituencies served by the System.
- Ability to understand the challenges of all types and sizes of libraries.
- Ability to respond promptly and appropriately to member library requests.
- Ability to effectively supervise staff.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours to attend and travel to other meetings as necessary.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
- MLS degree from an ALA accredited school of library and information science; and
- Four or more years of relevant professional public library experience sufficient to perform essential duties of the position; or
- An equivalent combination of training, education, and experience; and
- Eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary range $64,000 - $70,000, commensurate with experience.
- Vacation, sick time, holiday, and health insurance benefits
- NYS Retirement
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send a PDF with your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Assistant Director. Preference will be given to applications received by January 2, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.